{Thrifty Thursday} An IKEA Desk Makeover

I purchased an IKEA desk sometime ago and had visions of what I wanted it to look like dancing in my head. I decided on diagonal lines and wanted a pop of color.

So on the black brown surface I thought that yellow would look good…it ended up looking like a construction traffic sign. Oops! Lesson learned.

So I stripped the whole table down and was loving the earthy look of the particle board…which I’m sure might be a first of all time. LOL! I decided to go with a very simple, classic look and used mint colored spray paint I already had to create a desk blotter look. I created a rectangle center with paint tape and used cans of soup on the corners to create inverted circles. For a finishing touch I added the Fair Isle Dots Stencil by Martha Stewart with a mint multi purpose paint also from the Martha Stewart line.

The end result is a desk + space that inspires me to create + design + and dream up new projects. Do you have a DIY project that inspires you?

Rachel of Just Us Three Design and Harding Family Happenings is a contributor for A Night Owl.

linked up heretatertots & jellothe 36th avenuetip junkiei {heart} naptimefrugal girlshome stories a to z

Comments

1. emily says

WOw, so cute! I have a lot of IKEA furniture and have never taken the veneer all the way off before. I love your final look though! I came over from tt & J where you were linked up by me :o) I also host a Tuesday link party (Tastefule Tuesdays) and I would love for you to join sometime. It opens at 8:30 om central time.

2. Marie says

I need to redo my old Ikea dresser drawers…I have NO clue how to much crafting, let alone with Ikea products that don’t seem very “paintable.” Mind sharing how you stripped it?? And also, mind sharing how you painted the desk originally? Did you need to sand it? Prime it? Please share, I have no idea what I’m doing and would hate to botch my furniture! Thank you so much!

• says

So I originally used spray paint and painters tape. Laid down they stripes and sprayed away. I would recommend using a primer if you are painted a lacquer type surface. Since I didn’t like the bumble bee stripes I used a hand sander to take the whole finish off and start over. I went down to the particle board when sanding to get a nice smooth and even surface. Then again used painters tape {and used kraft paper to cover the edges of the desk I didn’t want to get paint on} to outline my blotter look and was lazy and used cans of soup for the inverted circle corners. LOL! Then used my stenciling along the edging and sealed it all with a clear coat. Voila! GOOD LUCK!
      reharding recently posted..{Lia Sophia – It’s for a Good Cause}My Profile

• Marie says

Thank you!! Mind if I ask one more question?? LOL. It is a lacquered finish, would any type of primer do? And any type of paint is usable also on a lacquered finish? Again, I’m a baby, need to learn so much about paints and surfaces!

• says

It really depends on the type of finish you are doing over. I recommend taking a pic of your pieces and going to a home improvement store and ask the experts in the paint department. I’m actually a novice myself….as you can see this project had it’s bumps. Don’t be afraid to just go for it…you can always strip furniture down and start again like I did. I went with a sealer rather than a lacquer because lacquer is actually pretty pricey. I opted for an inexpensive can o clear glossy sealer. ;) BEST OF LUCK Marie and thank you so much for stopping by! :)
          reharding recently posted..{Basically, YEAH…}My Profile

3. Lisa Rohrbaugh says

Oh my, your talent is so wonderful. I really love the desk. I have been wanting to buy something from the “Martha Stewart line.” Finances do not allow it now but I will write down what you used. Keep the tutorials coming. Lisa

Trackbacks