Hi friends, Jen here to share with you this February’s (by the skin of my teeth) Late Night Snack! I thought I’d change things up from the usual cupcakes I make and share with you how to make cake pops with a box of cake, can of frosting, and melted chocolate!
I recently made a batch of these as bridal shower favors and everyone raved about them! Although they are easy, they are also a bit of a process so I would start a few days before you plan on serving. In my case I baked the cake Wednesday evening, crumbled and formed into cake balls on Thursday evening and dipped in chocolate and packaged up on Friday evening. That was the perfect amount of time for me to be able to give them away on Saturday morning. I promise you these little babies are worth the hassle and if you had to you could totally make them in the same day if you needed just be sure to start them early to allow cooling time in between steps.
- 1 box of cake mix, flavor of choice (oil, egg, water as the mix calls for)
- 1 can of frosting flavor of choice
- 2 bags of chocolate chips or 3 bags of candy melts
- candy sticks (I used paper straws)
- sprinkles (optional)
- Bake cake per package directions and let cool.
- Once cooled, take a fork to it and crumble it up.
- Microwave can of frosting in 30 second increments until it's liquid.
- pour into crumble cake and combine well.
- Roll mixture into cake ball size and shape, place onto a pan covered in wax paper.
- Dip cake pop stick into melted chocolate and push into the formed cake ball.
- Refrigerate formed cake balls until firm. (I refrigerated overnight)
- Melt chocolate chips or candy melts in 30 second increments until melted.
- Dip cake balls into chocolate and place back onto the wax paper until firm.
- Once the chocolate firms up, wrap up to gift or sit back and enjoy!
So what do you think, would you venture to make a batch of these yourself? What flavor combination would you use?
Jen of Life According to the Streets is a contributor for A Night Owl.